IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY DONE SO, PRE-REGISTER FOR TRYOUTS HERE:
- FITNESS TRYOUTS FOR WEDNESDAY, 11.19.2014 HAVE BEEN CANCELLED.
- WE HAVE DECIDED TO MOVE OUR SECOND DAY OF TRYOUTS FROM WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON TO THURSDAY EVENING, 11/20/14, FROM 615-9PM AT THE ANHS STADIUM.
- WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE VARIOUS PLAYERS AND GROUPS PLAY THEIR GAME. WE PROMISE THAT THOSE OF YOU WHO MAKE THIS YEAR'S TEAMS WILL BE FIT BY THE TIME WE START THE SEASON. :)
WHAT: ANHS LADY WOLVERINE'S TRYOUTS DAY TWO
WHEN: THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 20TH, 2014
SIGN-IN AND ATHLETIC CLEARANCE VERIFICATION: 6:15PM
TRYOUTS START PROMPTLY: 7:00PM (MUST BE SIGNED IN AND CLEARED)
WHERE: ANHS STADIUM
******BRING CLEATS, STICKS, GOGGLES, MOUTHPIECE, WHITE TSHIRT, BLACK SHORTS, WATER. MAKE SURE YOU ARE MEDICALLY CLEARED******
1. BLACK SHORTS, WHITE TSHIRT, CLEATS, MOUTHPIECE, STICK, GOGGLES, AND WATER. (if you do not have these, contact Coach Elkins at firstname.lastname@example.org asap for arrangements to borrow everything BUT the mouthpiece)
2. Athletic clearance slip (or be on the list already from another sport) from Mr. Middlebrook. Please download, print, and have this form filled out by your doctor: http://anhs-capousd-ca.schoolloop.com/file/1268488195601/1283092022293/5095591780155608870.pdf
Once completed by the doctor, please take the form to Mr. Middlebrook's office and you will receive an athletic clearance slip which you will need to bring with you to the tryout date.
3. Please arrive by 6:15pm with your clearance form. You will sign in and checked for clearance and be assigned a tryout pennie with a specific color and number so that all coaches can clearly evaluate and score your abilities. IF YOU ATTENDED THE FIRST TRYOUT, YOU ARE CLEARED AND WILL BE GIVEN THE SAME NUMBER/COLOR COMBINATION.
4. Each player will be evaluated based on the possibility of three teams: Varsity, JV A, and JVB (or frosh/soph). We will make three pools from our initial observations, but all teams will practice together starting in January, and it is very possible that players will move up and/or down a level depending on their abilities and development. In fact, this can happen throughout the season so continuing to work hard and develop to a higher level is completely within your control! WE WILL DETERMINE THE NUMBER OF TEAMS BASED ON THE NUMBER OF GIRLS THAT TRY OUT, THE OVERALL TALENT LEVEL AND WORK ETHIC OF THOSE PLAYERS, AND THE BUDGET WE COLLECT FROM OUR POST-TRYOUT DONATION MEETING. We would love to continue to field three teams if we can make it work, but we will have to take a realistic look at the situation before we can make a final decision. You can help by continuing to work hard, give us your all at tryouts, and make sure that we are able to reach our fundraising/donation goals to support our programs.
5. We are looking for players who possess the following:
ATHLETICISM/FITNESS/STICK SKILLS/CONFIDENCE/WORK ETHIC/COACHABILITY/
UNDERSTANDING OF THE GAME/ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE EFFECTIVELY
VARSITY: TOP PLAYERS WITH STRENGTHS IN MOST OF THE AREAS DISCUSSED ABOVE. WITH FEW EXCEPTIONS, THESE PLAYERS HAVE PLAYED BEFORE THIS YEAR OR ARE OUTSTANDING ATHLETES IN OTHER SPORTS ALREADY. STICK SKILLS ARE VERY STRONG. ATHLETICISM, UNDERSTANDING OF THE GAME, AND DECISION-MAKING ABILITIES ARE VERY STRONG. COACHABILITY, TEAMWORK, AND GRIT ARE TOP NOTCH.
JVA: STRENGTHS IN MANY OF THE AREAS, BUT WITH A FEW AREAS THAT ARE WEAK AND NEED SOME IMPROVEMENT AND TIME TO MATURE INTO THE SPEED AND COMPLEXITY OF THE VARSITY GAME. HARD WORKING, SOLID PLAYERS WITH A DESIRE TO LEARN MORE AND EARN THEIR PROMOTION. COACHABILITY, TEAMWORK, AND GRIT ARE TOP NOTCH.
JVB: NOTICABLE STRENGTHS IN CERTAIN AREAS, BUT NEED MORE INSTRUCTION AND EXPOSURE TO THE GAME AND TIME TO DEVELOP. STICK SKILLS AND DECISION MAKING ARE IN NEED OF PRACTICE AND TIME TO DEVELOP APPROPRIATELY. DESIRE TO LEARN MORE AND COACHABILITY, TEAMWORK, AND GRIT ARE TOP NOTCH.
WE HAVE EVEN MORE PLAYERS JOINING US THAN WE EXPECTED. WE WILL HAVE FAIRLY LARGE TEAMS OR WE WILL HAVE TO MAKE SOME CUTS. WE HOPE THAT THIS GROUP WORKS HARD ENOUGH TO CONVINCE US TO NOT CUT AS WE'VE SEEN SOME GREAT TALENT AT ALL LEVELS.
6. If you have ANY conflicts (out of town, another sport, injury etc., PLEASE call Coach Elkins as soon as possible and communicate these to him so that he can try and assist you in working something out.
7. IF YOU MAKE A TEAM, THE PRACTICES WILL START ON JANUARY 20TH FROM 7-9PM AT THE ANHS STADIUM. The practices will be M-F (except for games and Spring Break) until the season ends in late May. You will be expected to attend all events, practices and games and support your teammates. If you have any questions, concerns, or doubts about your ability to commit to this expectation, please contact Coach Elkins in person or by phone (no text!) BEFORE you attend tryouts so that we are communicating and on the same page.
8. Here is the tryout plan for WEDNESDAY, 11.20.2014.
ANHS Girls LAX Tryouts 11.20.14
6:15pm – SETUP
6:30pm – CHECK-IN (sign-in, clearance, pinnies, gear check out if needed)
7:00pm – 2 LAPS AND DYNAMIC STRETCHING (10min)
7:10pm – SHUTTLES – (TWO lines of FOUR, every FIVE yards) (15min)
· Overhand (strong + cradle)
· Bounce pass
· Overhand (strong)
· Overhand (weak)
· Below the waist
· Catch strong, throw weak
· Catch weak, throw strong
· Overhand (strong)
· Quickstick (strong)
7:25pm – WATER (5min)
7:30pm – GAME SITUATIONS (7V7, UNSETTLED, TRANSITION, CLEARING, RIDE, DRAWS)
· Looking at footwork, positioning and aggressiveness on offense and defense
· Looking for COMMUNICATION, speed, teamwork, off-ball movement, shot skills, and placement
9:00pm – WRAP-UP AND DISMISS PLAYERS
9:10pm – Collect evaluation sheets and discussion with evaluators
PRELIMINARY TEAM LISTS WILL BE POSTED BEFORE THE END OF THIS WEEKEND!!!
PARENT MEETING TO CONFIRM DONATIONS AND ABILITY TO FUND THREE TEAMS WILL BE HELD (TENTATIVELY) ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 2ND AT ANHS.
Girls lacrosse typically has over 90% donation participation. If we meet or exceed this goal again this year, we will be able to run three complete teams of Varsity/JVA/JVB.
Please add the parent/player meeting to your calendar.
See you all there! It's going to be a GREAT year!