Last Updated: August 26, 2015
Coaches Rutgers Safety Course
August 26, 2015
Ed Furst will be holding a Rutgers Safety Class for any new prospective coaches.
Date: Monday, September 14, 2015
Location: Totowa PAL Building, Chamberlain Avenue, Totowa
If you would like to coach in the NH sports program and have not already take this class, please reach out to Edward Furst at firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Championship Saturday and Skills Competition 2015
March 4, 2015
Saturday March 14th, 2015
North Haledon / Hawthorne Rec Basketball League
Skills competitions are open to all children in basketball programs grades 3 - 8
Grades 3-6 in North Haledon's Memorial School Gym
Boys’ 3rd & 4th grades skills competition - 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
3 pt Shot 1st - Jake K, 2nd - Kurt A
Free Throw - 1st -Jake K, 2nd - Kurt A
Boys' 3rd & 4th grades championship game - 10:15 AM
Champions - NH Team Ajami 22-21
Girls' 3rd & 4th grades skills competition - 11:15 AM - 12:15 PM
3 pt Shot 1st - Gina, 2nd - Suzanna
Free Throw - 1st - Suzanna, 2nd - MacKenzie
Girls' 3rd & 4th grades championship game - 12:30 PM
Champions - NH1 Team Conklin - 16-8
Boys' 5th & 6th grades skills competition - 1:30 PM - 2:15 PM
3 pt Shot 1st - Ryan V, 2nd - Ryan B
Free Throw - 1st - Ryan V, 2nd - Nick G
Boys' 5th & 6th grades championship game - 2:30 PM
Champions NH Team Venezia - 27-20
Girls' 5th & 6th grades skills competition - 3:30 PM - 4:15 PM
3 pt Shot 1st - Nicole F, 2nd - Maya W
Free Throw - 1st - Hava S, 2nd - Emma L
Girls' 5th & 6th grades championship game - 4:30 PM
Champions Hawthorne - Carney Tree Service - Corriero - 26-24 OT
Grades 7 & 8 in Hawthorne High School Gym
Boys' 7th & 8th grades skills competition - 4:30 PM - 5:15 PM
3 pt Shot 1st - Adrian A, 2nd - Rubin K
Free Throw - 1st - Hunter M, 2nd - John G
Boys' 7th & 8th grades championship game - 5:30 PM
Champions - NH Team Foster - 41-24
Girls' 7th & 8th grades skills competition - 6:30 PM - 7:00 PM
3 pt Shot 1st - Alexa C, 2nd - Emily P
Free Throw - 1st - Alexa C, 2nd - Savannah S
Girls' 7th & 8th grades championship game - 7:15 PM
Champions - Hawthorne Mohawks Coach DiFilippo - 15-13
Cheers not Jeers - UPDATED
March 13, 2014
Clinic Basketball Last Day
March 2, 2015
This coming Saturday, March 7 will be the last day for the Clinic Basketball Program.
We'd like to thank all the coaches that have jumped in and helped run the program. Without our volunteer coaches, there would be NO basketball program. Parents, please take a minute and thank your child's coach. They put in many hours teaching your child the basics of basketball and more importantly sportsmanship and teamwork.
THANK YOU Coaches!!!
3rd & 4th Grade Division rules to begin being enforced
February 2, 2015
Attention everyone in the 3rd & 4th Grade Division:
Beginning Tuesday, February 3, the referees will begin enforcing the rules in the 3rd & 4th grade division. What this means is that when your player creates a turnover by traveling or double dribbling, etc., the ball will be awarded to the other team. We've spent half the season instructing the players of the rules, now we will begin enforcing them.
Please tell all your players of the rule enforcement.
Memorial School Gym opens at 6:00PM
January 6, 2015
NH Clinic Basketball Program
December 11, 2014
Here is the schedule:
Boys @ North Haledon, Memorial School
9:00AM – 10:00AM – Kindergarten
10:00AM – 11:00AM – 1st grade
11:00AM – 12:30PM – 2nd Grade
Girls @ North Haledon, High Mountain School
9:00AM – 10:30AM – Kindergarten, 1st Grade & 2nd Grade
Due to the limited number of girls registered, we will combine the girls 3 grades together. If registration increases we will consider splitting up the grades.
Our Clinic Program stresses learning the basics of basketball, dribbling, passing, shooting and defense, The goal is to teach the children these basics in a fun, competitive way so they have fun doing drills. The coaches are always coming up with new "drills/competitions" to teach the children the basics. Once they begin to learn the basics, they will begin using those skills in "games".
If you'd like to get involved in the program, please contact Joe Lozito (email@example.com).
2015 Rec Basketball League Rules
December 10, 2014
The 2015 Rec Basketball League Rules are now available for download. Click here or Click Handouts on left menu.
September 12, 2014
NH has a new online registration process. Now you can register online and pay at the same time. Visit our new website for details.... http://www.northhaledonrec.org/
Our NH League Lineup website will remain active for our schedules, standings and contact information.
Our Behavior in the NH Schools
January 16, 2014
It has been brought to my attention that some children while attending our Rec basketball games or waiting to play their games are not behaving in an appropriate manner. Myself or Scott Wozney cannot be at every game, every night in 2 gyms. We are volunteers just as the coaches are. We cannot police what is going on. We are guests in the schools and must act accordingly or we may lose the use of the gyms at High Mountain and Memorial Schools. The North Haledon Recreation Commission and the NH Board of Education are separate entities trying to help each other give our children a chance to enjoy the sport of basketball.
These are the guidelines that must be followed while you and your child or any other child are attending a basketball game in a North Haledon school.
1) STAY IN THE GYM. DO NOT ROAM THE HALLWAYS
2) IN MEMORIAL SCHOOL - STAY OFF THE STAGE
3) DO NOT BRING ANY BASKETBALLS INTO THE GYM. THE COACHES THAT HAVE GAMES WILL HAVE BASKETBALLS.
4) NO BASKETBALLS ARE TO BOUNCED IN ANY OF THE HALLS.
5) STAY OFF THE PULL UP BARS IN BOTH GYMS
6) DO NOT GO ONTO THE COURT DURING A TIME OUT, HALF TIME, BETWEEN GAMES OR AFTER THE LAST GAME. STAY OFF THE COURT. AFTER THE LAST GAME, COACHES CLEAN UP AND EVERYONE ELSE GOES HOME.
7) AT MEMORIAL SCHOOL - NEVER ENTER OR EXIT THRU GYM DOORS INTO THE PARKING LOT, SALT AND WATER FROM OUTSIDE WILL DAMAGE THE GYM FLOOR
8) CHEER FOR YOUR TEAM. KEEP ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF
9) PLAYERS - TRY TO BRING WATER ONLY. STAY AWAY FROM GATORADE AND OTHER SPORTS DRINKS. WHEN YOU SPILL THEM THE FLOOR BECOMES STICKY.
If anyone has any problem with any of these guidelines, please let me know.
Good video regarding the spirit of Rec Sports
February 14, 2013
I'd like to suggest every parent and young athlete watch this video. It may not be based on basketball, but the coach's message is applicable to all Rec sports.
Here is the link - http://youtu.be/eFsF0Z9EKDg
Reporting of Game Scores
February 6, 2013
Every coach is responsible for reporting their game score. I would rather have two scores reported than zero. We are missing 13 different game scores. Please check your team's schedule on this website and if you are missing a game score, please shoot me an email with the score. If you are unsure of the actual score, just give me the winner and we'll list it as 1-0 game. All that matters is the winner, not the actual score.
Thank you for your cooperation,
NH Gyms Set-up and Clean-up
January 10, 2013
The first game coaches at either NH gym are responisble to set-up for the game and the last NH coaches are responsible to clean-up after the game.
High Mountain School - Set-up:
Memorial School Set-up:
When your game concludes, please gather all your stuff, balls, clothing, garbage and move your team away from the bench so the next team can get ready for their game
Clean-up - Both gyms:
Equal Playing Time Rule Reminder - Updated
March 5, 2011
February 13, 2012
NH Accident Report
Under Handouts in the left Menu is an accident report. If any of your players are injured during a practice or game please complete a report ASAP and forward it to Mike Oliver, Basketball Commissioner. The report has to be filed with the town for insurance purposes.
Thank you for your full cooperation.
Parking & Children roaming
February 7, 2012
We have received notices from the NH schools and the town asking us to bring two issues to light and one we need to remind everyone about.
1). Please DO NOT park in the church parking lot on the opposite side of the street from Memorial School. There is plenty of parking in the lower Memorial School parking lot. Please use the lower lot and walk around the school to the Gym entrance in the back.
2). Please DO NOT allow children to roam the halls of either school, including on the stage and behind the curtains at Memorial School. The school allows us to use the facility and we do not want to jeopardize that privilege. Young children are very inquisitive and they like to explore. However every school has equipment and other gear the children find fascinating which could be damaged or cause injury. Please do not leave your children unattended. Also, please do not allow children to climb under or on top of the bleachers in either gym These are not children safe areas. There are gears and other moving parts as well as sharp corners that could cause injury. Most nights the bleachers in High Mountain School are not pulled fully out for our games and children love to climb to the top to sit. Parents need to supervise their children on the bleachers.
3). No balls, except those brought in by the coach, are permitted in NH gyms. Non-Players and Children are not permitted on the court at any point during the game. They are not permitted to shoot baskets during timeouts, halftime or after the game. The players and coaches need to prepare for the game and go over game plans and discuss their next game, so please show them that respect.
I’d like to thank everyone in advance for their understanding and immediate cooperation.
January 26, 2012
Amazing Video with young basketball whiz
June 16, 2011
Join Our Email List
October 14, 2010
Join our eMail list and get emails regarding your team's practices and games as well as other information regarding our basketball program.
See link on left below the email "mailbox" link.
Basketball General Information - Updated for 2013
November 7, 2012
• We have separate boys and girls basketball teams.
• We are partnered with Hawthorne and play each other in our own league. Games can be in either town’s gym.
• If the schools are closed there is no basketball on snow days, vacations, holidays and early dismissal etc.
• Grade K, 1 & 2 participate in our Clinic program with each grade having its own division.
• Clinic normally begins after the Christmas/Winter break in early January and concludes around Mid-March.
• Clinic will usually meet once a week to practice and play games. We have had tremendous success with our clinic program as is evident with our growing numbers.
• Grade 3 & 4, 5 & 6 and 7 & 8 are grouped together, respectively.
• Grades K – 2 play at an 8’ to 8.5’ high rim, grades 3 & 4 at 9', higher grades play at regulation 10’ rim.
• Grades K – 4’s foul line is 2-3’ closer than the regulation 15’ used by higher grades.
• Grades 3 – 8 will start practicing in early December with games normally beginning after the Christmas/Winter break. The season usually ends in early March with playoffs (every team makes the playoffs) beginning immediately after.
• Team practices are usually one week day and one time slot on Saturday.
• Once games start, for Grades 3 – 8, there are only games. We have many teams and limited gym space, even with the new gym.
• Once games start, they can be any day of the week. The weekday games will be, 6:00, 7:00 and 8:00 pm. Only the older children will play the late games. On Saturday games should run from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm. Game start times are every hour on the hour.
• Travel – we normally offer a Travel team for each the 5/6 grades and 7/8 grades. Travel is for the more advanced and competitively minded and skilled athlete. Participation is subject to organization’s discretion. Watch website for tryout time and date.
• Clinic (K, 1 & 2 grade) - $50.00
• Grades 3-8 Grade - $75.00
• Make checks payable to North Haledon Recreation or NH Rec